The Witless Clunkery of a Third-Rate Mind

Saturday, July 08, 2006

The HOT Before the Storm

Hi folks! There is a huge typhoon (we call 'em "hurricanes") inching towards Kyushu right now. As it is very slow-moving and quite large, they are expecting a fair bit of damage. All week, they have been predicting landfall this weekend, so nobody wanted to make plans, but I had a party with my students last night anyway, and had a great time. We went to a restaurant, then down to the beach for some fireworks, and finally ended up in a karaoke box. Unlike North America, where Karaoke is typically something that happens once a week in a sports bar (and so you have to stand up and sing in front of a bunch of strangers) in Japan, Karaoke is usually done in a room with just your friends. Your friends, and a really, really loud sound system that you can crank up and then sing your head off. It's a lot of fun, actually. If you haven't tried it, you're really missing out. (For the record, if it looks like some people are bored, they are actually just exhausted ... I took this picture towards the end of the night and it was past 3:30am as I recall)



Anyway, I woke up this morning a bit surprised to see sunlight coming through my curtains - I was sure it would be gray and rainy.

I'm a bit of a slave to the weather. If it's sunny, I feel compelled to go outside, even though I am basically and indoor person and I get a sunburn at the drop of a hat. That is why I say it's a compulsion - I go outside even though I don't particularly enjoy it. So I put on a hat and some sunscreen, stumbled outside, and wandered around a bit. And let me tell you: it is fricking HOT right now. I walked a few blocks down to the station, did a bit of shopping (the air conditioning in the supermarket is turned up so high that it kind of hurts your lungs when you first step in from the furnace outside), then trudged back home. After my walk, I was so sweaty that I just had to take a picture. Actually, I don't look nearly as sweaty as I felt. It felt like my sweat was sweating.



There is definitely something weird going on with the temperatures between Canada and Japan. I checked the current temperature in Beppu on the internet, and it said it was 27 degrees, 29 with the "heat index". I guess that is like the Humidex we have in Canada. Anyway, I can vouch for the fact that it is WAY hotter than it would be on a day that they said it was 29 in Canada. It feels more like 35 or 37. So, I don't know who's lying, but there's something weird going on.

So apparently, this is the calm before the storm. I grabbed a current satellite photo off the web ... I am situated right in that tiny cloudless window on the east part of Kyushu.



But I'm sure there isn't anything to get worried about. The storm is scheduled to spin up the west side of Kyushu, meaning that my old town Ikitsuki is probably going to get hit pretty hard. But they are expecting Oita to be relatively unaffected - just rain and heavy winds, I suppose. I'll let you know how it goes... in the meantime, I guess it's time for a Sunday afternoon nap. Aaahhhhhhh....

2 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, doesn't seem so hellish to me. What Kath and I really want to know is what happened on the date. Oliver is free-standing at six months old and Sophia is talking up a storm. We all miss you. When are you coming home?

Tony, Kathleen, Sophia, and Oliver

 
At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!!Jeff!
I am a student of you! Yu-ki!!
Your blog is very funny!
Oh,so,I joined yor "mixi" .
Nice to meet you !

So, I would like to do BBQ with our class AH in Spabeech.

Thank you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home